Saturday, June 6, 2009

VISION IN WHITE


TITLE: VISION IN WHITE
AUTHOR: NORA ROBERTS
Pages: 325
Date: 05/06/2009
Grade: 5
Details: no. 1 The Bride Quartet

I don't know how Nora Roberts does it. How is it possible that even though she basically keeps on re-writing the same stories with characters whose traits are by now familiar and recognizable, she manages to keep on producing fresh and interesting reads?
As a rule, I don't like my books predictable, and Roberts' books are, but I continue to be drawn to them and almost always find it next to impossible to put them down until I've read the very last word.
In part, it must be down to the fact that she writes about characters who are truly human, people I would like to meet and know. Roberts is also a genius when it comes to writing dialogue; it flows, feels natural and I can almost hear it while I'm reading. Yet, I know there is more to it. The reasons I love her books go so much deeper still. I just can't put my finger on exactly what those reasons are.
And maybe that is just as well. Maybe, the magic would disappear once I discover all those reasons, and I hope to never lose that magic.
This book tells the story of Mackensie Elliot, who runs a successful wedding-planning business with her three friends, where she is responsible for the photography. But even though her life revolves around weddings, Mackensie doesn't believe in love, marriage and happy-ever-after. Her past and present experiences with her own parents give her no reason to believe any of that.
However, when she meets Carter Maguire, it soon becomes clear that she may have to re-assess her believes. She has feelings she has never had before, and needs to deal with them.
While her mother continues to upset her life, Mackensie has to learn to trust herself, her feelings and the man she has come to love.

No comments: