Tuesday, June 9, 2009

AND THEN THERE WAS NO ONE


TITLE: AND THEN THERE WAS NO ONE
AUTHOR: GILBERT ADAIR
Pages: 258
Date: 10/06/2009
Grade: 3.5
Details: The Last of Evadne Mount / no. 3 Evadne Mount mystery
Library

While I was reading this book I stated that I didn't know what to make of it. Now that I've finished it, I'm still not sure. It may be that I just didn't get this book because I didn't read the two previous books, but I don't think so.
Gilbert Adair, the author of a set of three books inspired by Agatha Christie's mysteries, is also a character in this, the third in the set.
His detective in the previous two books was Evadne Mount,a character he based on a real woman with that name.
In this story, Adair is invited to a Sherlock Holmes festival near the Reichenback Falls in the Swiss Alps. he is one of a group of invited authors, one of whom, the mystery guest Gustav Stavorigin, has a price of one hundred million on his head after he wrote a post 9/11 book that infuriated Americans.
Much to Adair's surprise Evadne Mount also turns up at the festival, resembling his fictionalized version of her much more than he thought possible.
Then Stavorigin turns up murdered and slowly but carefully "fact" and fiction start to intermingle as Evadne investigates the murder. The solution turns out to be all to predictable, even if the ending is somewhat surprising.
For me this book was just too clever by half, too intellectual and try too hard. I do like the idea behind the book, but the execution of it disappointed me.

No comments: