Monday, November 10, 2008

FAKING IT


TITLE: FAKING IT
AUTHOR: MARIANNE MACDONALD
Pages: 214
Date: 08/11/2008
Grade: 4+
Details: no. 8 Dido Hoare Mystery
Library

I should of course know better than to read mysteries out of order. What's more, it really doesn't make sense when the first book you read is the (so far) last one published in a series. In my defense I could say that although I knew this wasn't the first title in this series, I didn't realize it was number eight and the last one. And I don't mind reading one title in a series out of order to allow myself to see if I like it enough to start hunting for the other/earlier titles.
and as far as that last point is concerned the answer is yes, I would like to go back and read the previous instalments. Also, fortunately for me, this book didn't appear to give away anything about the earlier plots.
Dido Hoare owns and runs an antiquarian bookshop in London and is surprised when she receives a visit from Gabriel Steen, a book scout she knows but hasn't seen for years. While he's in her shop, Gabriel receives a phone call which upsets him, and subsequently persuades Dido to buy a share in what appears to be a medieval manuscript, which he leaves with her.
The next time Dido hears about Gabriel he has died under suspicious circumstances, leaving her with the mysterious manuscript and dealing with a host of strangers interested in it, not to mention several police forces.
Investigating the manuscript and Gabriel's death only leads to more question and possibly danger and it would seem that losing money on her deal with Gabriel is the least of Dido's problems.
I enjoyed this mystery. It was well plotted and well researched and featured likable, realistic and well rounded characters.
It makes a nice change to read a mystery where the police and the amateur actually get on and cooperate rather than undermine each other.

No comments: