Friday, February 13, 2009

THE SUDOKU PUZZLE MURDERS


TITLE: THE SUDOKU PUZZLE MURDERS
AUTHOR: PARNELL HALL
Pages: 308
Date: 13/02/2009
Grade: 3.5
Details: no. 9 Puzzle Lady Mystery
Library

I realize that it is possible that the reason I didn't really get into this mystery is because I haven't read any of the previous books in the series. However, I don't really think so. This book was just too silly for me. It seemed to string itself along on misunderstandings, confusing conversations, guesswork and never taking anything (including domestic violence) seriously.
This has been one of several American mystery series that I have been having a hard time getting my hands on. At least now I won't mind so much that this particular one is hard to find.
In this story, Cora Felton, the puzzle lady, is approached by a Japanese publisher to write a sudoku book. She agrees to his proposal, but then her niece Sherry accidentally signs a contract with another Japanese publisher. It turns out that the two men are long time rivals, willing to do anything to undermine each other. But does that include murdering two private detectives? And where does Sherry's unstable ex-husband fit in?
Like I said, I won't be out hunting these books down. But this was a very easy read. I just didn't find it funny, and I'm sure it was meant to be just that.

No comments: