Saturday, January 12, 2008

SECRET DIARY OF A DEMENTED HOUSEWIFE

TITLE: SECRET DIARY OF A DEMENTED HOUSEWIFE
AUTHOR: NIAMH GREENE
Pages: 377
Grade: 4-
Own

I'm not sure if I would have finished this book under normal circumstances. But since it was a present from Dermot, who claims to find it impossible to buy me a book these days (and who can blame him, with my TBR list I have a hard time myself keeping track), I felt I really should persevere.
This book is the diary of Susie, thirty something stay-at-home mother to a 4 year old daughter and 18 month old son, who is dissatisfied with her lot in life. Her husband is very busy in work, her best friend living a glamorous single life, her mother in law is interfering and her own parents are too busy enjoying their golden years to sympathize with her.
Enter over-the-top reactions to minor happenings in her life and an almost affair, only for everything to end up alright.
The story reminded me a bit of "I Don't Know How She Does It", although that book really annoyed me whereas this one only got a bit boring.
I did find that the author was trying a bit too hard to be funny and over the top, which for me only resulted in not feeling any connection with the story or the main character.

No comments: